Guru Guidance Tips: How to Incorporate Best Practices and Latest A/E/C Industry Trends
The mentee’s firm has begun a process of revamping its marketing / business development efforts, both internal (tracking leads, go/no go decisions, contact management database, etc.) and external (branding, website, publicity, etc.).
What resources might help the mentee to understand best practices and incorporate the latest trends from elsewhere in the A/E/C industry? To help justify this overhaul, how can the mentee prove value and positive return on investment to her firm?
Helpful Resources to Consider
- SMPS colleagues – may be able to offer different perspectives from various types and sizes of firms (competitors, consultants, etc.)
- Vendors can be a good resource. They work with lots of people across the industry and may have a good feel for current trends.
- For external efforts, ask for input from your clients. What are they looking for when they visit a firm’s website? What stands out to them in a good brochure?
- Discuss with various stakeholders within your firm. They may have seen things that work well when dealing with other companies (or from experience while working for a prior firm). They may also be able to lend institutional knowledge – what has been tried before? If it wasn’t successful in the past, what can be done differently this time?
- Focus on engaging people who are enthusiastic about a given initiative to help implement it. This can help generate ideas, fresh content, and buy-in.
- Look outside the industry for creative ideas and inspiration. (e.g. non-A/E/C websites or marketing campaigns)
How to Prove Value
- First, it is important to clearly understand and articulate what is driving these changes. Identifying the goals of the changes will help to keep everyone on track toward achieving them.
- Benchmark and gauge progress by picking a metric and measuring results both before and after changes are implemented. (e.g. – proposal win rate, visitors to website, new contacts made)
- Regularly review progress with stakeholders in your firm. Have an open dialogue about what is and is not working and why.
- Share success stories and good news.
Curious about the Guru Guidance Program? Get more info here.