Failure to comply with submittal requirements can result in disqualification of entry. Materials completed between January 2015 and December 2016 will be accepted for the 2017 competition.
Important steps to insure your entry is complete
- Review category definitions to determine which category (ies) you would like to enter.
- Please read updated Jury Process and Awards to see scoring criteria.
- Prepare your entry following the directions below.
- Register your entry online (prior to mailing folder to address below)
- Print out your payment receipt and place in the pocket inside the folder
- Mail entry folder and entry form to Katie Garrett; the final deadline for receipt of entries by SMPS DC (received by, not postmarked by date) is 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, January 31, 2015
Preparing the entry folder
All materials must be submitted in one 8.5-x-11-inch, plastic pocket folder, including:
- print of entry form (includes answers to questions 1-6)
- entry fee payment (print out receipt of payment from online registration)
- table of contents
- exhibits/samples of project being entered
A separate folder is required for each entry category.
You may incorporate a cover sheet on the inside, in front of the table of contents.
For larger items that do not fit into folder, use large metal binder clips or rubber bands to secure the items to your folder (e.g., book, poster). Any materials that cannot be placed in a folder (e.g., clothing, hard hats) must be illustrated with a photograph and the photograph included in the exhibit section of folder. Inclusion of such materials in their actual form is elective, not mandatory.
Each folder must contain the following items in the following order.
1. Entry Form
The following 6 questions are to be answered on the entry form. The word count limit is next to each question. You may bullet your responses. You WILL be judged on your responses.
- Creative Brief (250 Words or less)
Please give a 250 word or less creative brief on your entry to convey to their jurors why your entry should win.
- Marketing Objectives (75 words or less)
Identify your marketing goals by answering the following questions:
• What did your firm hope to achieve with the piece or program?
• How did you plan to measure your results against your marketing goals? Include the following:
– Marketing objectives
– Specify time frame
– Budget information
– Methodology for collecting and evaluating results
- Target Audience (50 words or less)
Define the audience for this piece or program. Answer the following questions:
• Who was your target audience?
• How many pieces were sent via mail or e-mail? If web site or video, what were your analytical goals?
• Characterize the composition, size, and location of your target audience (example: 250 CEOs and senior managers of the top 500 leaders of the California high-tech industry).
- Research and Planning (75 words or less)
Describe the market research conducted prior to planning your piece or program. Summarize your marketing plan efforts. Explain the production and delivery method.
- Messaging (50 words or less)
What is the intended message of this entry?
- Results (100 words or less)
Please answer the following questions:
• What was the ROI?
• Which actions did the target audience take after receiving your materials (testimonials/feedback)?
• What was your break-even goal for profit/loss, and did you achieve it?
• Did you meet your specific sales goals?
• Did you gain new clients as a result?
2. Entry Fee Payment
All payments must be made by credit card on the SMPS DC Chapter website (www.smpsdc.org). Place one printed copy of the credit card payment confirmation inside the folder with the entry form. All payment information will be removed before judging.
- $100 first entry
- $75 per additional entry
- $125 first entry
- $100 per additional entry
3. Table of Contents
Including the following:
- Payment confirmation
- Print out of Entry Form (includes questions 1-6)
- Supplemental Documents: (Only required for Brand Awareness, Media Relations, and Promotional Campaigns entries) If entering Corporate Identity, identity standards/guidelines are requested to be included with submission.
- Exhibits/Samples: Please include at least one hard copy of the marketing piece you are submitting for judges to review. (Some categories require more than one copy; review the individual requirements for the category you are entering to confirm the quantity.) To submit digital entries, please be sure to include a web link to view entry online. Make sure that the link is accessible using Google Chrome and test your web link prior to submitting your entry. Submitting printout of screenshots of digital entry is encouraged.
In addition to the folder, submit entry materials for each entry displayed on a black 3/16-inch thick 20×20-inch or 20×40-inch foam board or gator board. On the front side of the board display entry materials and on the back side of the board affix a copy of page one of your entry form in the upper right hand corner. Photographs may be substituted for three-dimensional pieces or entries too large to fit on the board. These boards will be used to display entries at the We Love Marketers awards ceremony.
Mail entries and boards to:
1211 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 250
Washington, DC 20036
Re: SMPS DC 2017 Chapter MCA
All entries must be received, not postmarked, by 5:00PM on Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
Materials will not be returned. All entries become the property of SMPS DC and may be displayed during SMPS DC and industry events as examples of best practices in marketing communications.
For More Information:
Contact Katie Garrett, SMPS DC Past President, at email@example.com or at 202-654-0800 ext. 2010.